This week, students finished up Module 1 by practicing lots of multi-digit addition and subtraction story problems. Students worked on communicating their mathematical thinking during a practice test, and on Thursday they took the end of Module 1 math assessment. Mrs. Hauser was very impressed with how well students did solving multi-digit addition and subtraction problems, as well as understanding place value up to 1,000,000.
This week, students began their new unit of inquiry, Where We Are in Place and Time. In order for students to have a better understanding of Migration, we took the week to focus on learning about Lewis and Clark, and the Corps of Discovery. Students made some predictions based on a map they saw of North America in 1803, they watched a video, did some reading, and played a board game that took them along a replicated journey.
The students have earned a compliments celebration and they have chosen to have a technology party, which will be held on the afternoon of Thursday 11/16. Make sure that your child brings in their permission slip before the party begins, and that they have their electronic devices on the 16th. Also, please note that all students are responsible for whatever they bring to school, and they understand that the school is not responsible for any harm that might come to their items. Students must also follow all school rules regarding use of electronics and electronic communication.
This year in 4th grade, we have a unique opportunity to see a movie adaptation of the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio. We would love to invite your family to come view it with us!
Who: 4th Grade Families at West TV
What: Watch Wonder in the movie theatre.
When: Tuesday, December 5th After school- Time: TBD
Where: Century 16 Theatre at Cedar Hills Crossing
Why: To celebrate our read aloud
- Please note that Wonder is rated PG, and this is everyone’s first time viewing it.
- Since this event is not put on by West TV, the cost and transportation are not provided.
- We also ask that your child be accompanied by an adult other than their teacher, as this is not a school event.
- Tuesday, November 14th-Reading Logs due/ Vocabulary Test
- Thursday, November 16th- Technology Party
- Friday, November 17th- Last day to order Spirit Wear
- Friday, November 17th- Movie Night (Smurfs @ 6:30)
- Wednesday, November 22nd- Friday, November 24th- No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- Tuesday, December 5th- Wonder Movie